8/22/2015

Kate Daniels Kicks Some Serious ASS (Series Review)


www.goodreads.comSo I have to tell you about this amazing series that I am reading. 

It's not YA, and not a trilogy, so I'm WAY out of my comfort zone! Also, I've been burned before with series that start out amazing, but the author takes 5-year breaks, or you're afraid they're going to die before they finish what they started (yes, George R. R., I'm talking about you).

I belong to a reading group/ book club called Vaginal Fantasy that I discovered through Felicia Day. She started it on www.goodreads.com and once a month she and some friends host a Google+ hangout to discuss the book of the month while drinking alcohol and getting horribly off-topic. It's great. The books usually consist of a strong heroine in a sci-fi and/or fantasy setting. Some of the books are just pure smut (which is fine), and then you get some gems like KATE DANIELS.

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1)
By: Ilona Andrews
Published: 2007
Movie: NO, but there should be!

[Against all odds I actually figured out how to link the book cover to it's page on goodreads.com if you would like to know more/ find out where to get a copy...]


"Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren’t for magic… 

One moment magic dominates, and cars stall and guns fail. The next, technology takes over and the defensive spells no longer protect your house from monsters. Here skyscrapers topple under onslaught of magic; werebears and werehyenas prowl through the ruined streets; and the  Masters of the Dead, necromancers driven by their thirst of knowledge  and wealth, pilot blood-crazed vampires with their minds. " (goodreads.com)


Ok, so that's the synopsis. Already pretty cool, right? You have urban-fantasy crossed with a post-apocalyptic world. Not only that, but the heroine is, simply put: a bad-ass. The authors - "Ilona Andrews" is a husband and wife writing team - don't constantly describe how beautiful Kate is, or her perfect body, etc. They describe how she picks out clothes to fit her weapons and for flexibility if she comes upon something fightable. They write fight scenes with such specific, bone-cracking realism you are all-at-once hooked but anxious at the same time. Not to mention Kate spits out some great one-liners throughout.

If that weren't enough, all I have to say, is SEXY WERE-LION. Any time I'm reading a Kate Daniels book, I just tell people it's the "sexy were-lion book" and they look at me a little funny. But SO TRUE. Some great sexual tension,with a slow build-up.

So not only has Ilona Andrews built this original magical world, but with the waves of magic comes all kinds of crazy monsters, mostly taken out of mythology from around the world. AND to top it off, there's a mystery surrounding our heroine herself, which the authors expertly draw out throughout the first 3-4 books. I also like how each book is not just a  "monster-of-the-week" problem, and then everything goes back to normal. The building of characters and relationships, and the outstanding enemies keeps you coming back for more!! (Wow, I actually just wrote that. I can’t help it: it’s true!)

Right now I'm reading Magic Slays (#5) and for the life of me I can't seem to put down these books! Every time I finish one and go back to what I was reading, the library (a.k.a. my dealer) has an email for me saying that my next Kate Daniels is available. I immediately drop ANYTHING I'm doing, and sit down for a read.

This August (2015) Magic Shifts (#8) was released. I am confident that my obsessive-compulsiveness towards this series will get me there all too quickly.

Don't get me wrong: I know that all good things come to an end. And I'm ready for it. I'm just enjoying the ride, man. (I just hope that in 10 years I'm not reading Magic Burps (Kate Daniels #24) or something. But hey, considering this writing team, they might just make that work!!)

As I re-read this entry, it sounds a bit like I'm working for the publishers of the series or something. Rest assured, this is completely all my own craziness for this series.

Just read the first one. I dare you. And then tell me how on-the-nose this blog entry was!!

Have you read the Kate Daniels books? Do you agree with my fanaticism? Let me know in the comments below.

Sincerely,
Spinning "I LOVE YOU CURRAN!" Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment