11/08/2015

Quickie Review: Digital Fortress

Digital Fortress Digital Fortress by Dan Brown
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

To use a diplomatic phrase of my father's: This wasn't my favourite.

Initially I quite enjoyed reading about the NSA from a 1998 perspective. It was a digital "time-capsule," really! And the phrase used throughout the book - "who will guard the guards" was actually quite prophetic, as we now know what NSA whistle-blower Edward Snowden knew.

There were just a some outdated (?) concepts that bothered me, I guess. Like the fact that they kept reminding the reader that Susan was a BEAUTIFUL mathematician. Or the scavenger hunt that Becker was on that kept either getting more complicated or convenient.

Also, the climactic ending went on a little long, and as Susan's last name was Fletcher, I started to picture Jessica Fletcher instead and it made me giggle a bit.

I definitely waffled between 2 and 3 stars, and I think I would have really liked this 17 years ago... so 1998 = 3 stars, 2015 = 2 stars. There. Everybody's happy.

But I'm glad I read it, as it's out of my wheelhouse. Yay change!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment