11/03/2015

Top Ten Tuesday #8: Top Ten Debut Authors That Have (or Had) Me Itchin' For More!

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme brought to you by The The Broke and the Bookish. This week:

"Top Ten Debut Authors Who Have Me Looking Forward To Their Sophomore Novel"(because when you love a debut you just are ITCHING to get your hands on the author's second book) or "Top Ten Sophomore Novels That I Loved Just As Much If Not More As The Author's Debut" (no one hit wonders heeeere!)" - BnB


So apparently I'm not as "hip and happening" as I thought, and I haven't read very many debut authors from 2015. I have some on my TBR list, but I'm just trying to juggle my ever-growing "to-read" list (last count on goodreads was 458*) with my present "I-own-so-many-stop-buying-more!" list. And now that I'm working at a used book store, well, let's just say I think I'm paying THEM to work there... *shrugs sheepishly*

For this week's TTT, I'm going to combine both topics, starting with debut books I LOVED and can't wait to read more, and then ending with sophomore releases that broke the "curse" and made me love the author even more... for a while... :S

1. The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern (2011). I know this one wasn't for everyone, but I loved the imagination that went into this novel. It was definitely "out there" but that's why I love it so! I'm cheering for you, Erin!







2. You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost), by Felicia Day (2015). I know Felicia has written The Guild series, as well as some related graphic novels, but this was her debut BOOK and I loved it. I think she's imaginative, creative, and has made her own dreams come true, which is hopefully what we're all striving to do! For my full review, go to: http://spinningjennysbookblog.blogspot.ca/2015/09/youre-never-weird-on-internet-almost.html





3. Dark Inside (Dark Inside #1), by Jeyn Roberts (2011). So yay! Canadian author! I really enjoyed this zombie-riffic romp! And I'm always a glutton for any mentions of my hometown (Calgary) which some of the characters passed through. I am fully aware that the 2nd book is already out (Rage Within; Dark Inside #2) HOWEVER she has admitted on her goodreads page that she was going to start writing the 3rd "within the year" and THAT WAS A YEAR AGO. And we've not heard boo since. So, with mental self-preservation in mind, I will hold off until we know what's what.




4. The 57 Lives of Alex Wayfare, by M. G. Buehrlen (2014). I really liked the concept of this book. And I believe that the follow-up, The Untimely Deaths of Alex Wayfare (Alex Wayfare #2) was supposed to be released this year, but the publisher went the way of the ol' dodo bird, and it's now expected for spring 2016. Ready when you are, M. G.!!!






5. A Year in the Life of a Total and Complete Genius, by Stacey Matson (2014). I read this coming-of-age "middle grade" (as my American friends would say) offering because I met Stacey's brother in a pub. Again, vague references to Calgary (woot!!) but so original because it's presented in schoolwork form. I believe Ms. Matson wrote this for her Masters (?) at UBC, and I MAY have offered to be best friends with her when she comes home to visit her family in Calgary. So I just saw that Scenes from the Epic Life of a Total Genius just came out in September 2015 (thanks TTT!!) so I'm running out the door as SOON AS I FINISH THIS LIST!!!!!! (It's cute that some of you think I'm kidding...)


---------------------------------------------------
Okay, this is the part of the list that tells you all about some grrrrrreat! sophomore offerings. [America, why is there an extra "o" in sophomore?! It's like you're Canadian/ British and throwing "u's" in words like "colour" or "parlour."]

6. Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2), by Marissa Meyer (2013). I know there are some out there who weren't sure about Cinder, but give the series a chance! It's fairy tales in space, people. It's imaginative, fun, clever, and I CAN'T WAIT FOR NOVEMBER 10th as I've pre-ordered the 4th, and final installment, Winter. There are LITERALLY ants in my pants. (Obviously not, but my new favourite** grammar fail is the over-use of literally, so I LITERALLY use it whenever I can.)


**There's one of those extra "u's" again!

7. Lair of Dreams (The Diviners #2), by Libba Bray (2015). So Libba Bray is my new favourite author merely because of The Diviners and now LoD. It's paranormal YA historical fiction. It's basically my ideal Hat Trick [hockey reference: one player getting 3 goals in a game]. I love her characters, and the research that she has done surrounding 1927 New York is astounding. I was almost at the "I'm going to hold my breath until you publish this" point, as the publication dates kept being moved further and further away. I have a review for this one too: http://spinningjennysbookblog.blogspot.ca/2015/08/lair-of-dreams-worth-wait-review.html

8. Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer #2) by Lish McBride (2012). Even by the title you can probably tell that Lish McBride has a pretty awesome sense of humour. She uses that to her advantage in this book, as well as Hold Me Closer, Necromancer. Not-to-mention that each chapter has a song title/ part of a song as the title, and I actually made a complete playlist from the 1st book. Both are good, light, fun reads. It doesn't really SEEM like she's writing another? I'm fine with a duology, but would also welcome more from Ms. McBride!


9. The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials #2), by Phillip Pullman (1996). This entire trilogy is one of my favourites!! Well-written, imaginative, thrilling... The Golden Compass kinda bombed as a movie, and I think they tried to change the title of the book recently? I was confused, to say the least. The series is on par with the Narnia books, and I don't say that lightly!!





10. Rebel Heart (Dust Lands Trilogy #2), by Moira Young (2012). This is a really good series. YA post-apocalypse, self-discovery through violence, you know, the usual. It's not perfect, there are some questionable decisions and sadness, but I still recommend the heck out of it!!






------------------------------------------------------
Honorable mentions for those sweet sophOmore releases that couldn't close the deal in the series...

Insurgent, by Veronica Roth (2012). I really liked the first 2 books! I know there can be some backlash when they get "Hunger Games Big" especially if people who haven't read the books don't really "get" the movies. I don't want to talk about Allegiant.

Days of Blood and Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #2), by Laini Taylor. So good. SOOOO GOOOOD!!!!! I don't know if I was just kinda grumpy when reading the 3rd in the trilogy, as in hindsight it SEEMS like it would have been good? I will try to re-read it, just because the first 2 books were so cool.

A Clash of Kings, by George R. R. Martin (1998). I kinda don't even want to talk about it... I loved the first 3 books in this series. And A Storm of Swords is probably one of the best books you'll ever read in your entire life. YOUR ENTIRE LIFE... I don't want to talk about it... Except that Martin's going to DIE before finishing the series and he keeps BLOGGING ABOUT FOOTBALL. In the Five Stages of Grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance) I thought I was in "acceptance," but I think I keep waffling between depression and self-imposed indifference. Sometimes you gotta learn lessons the hard way...

And that's it! I'd love to read your Top Ten choices!! I need to add to my TBR list!! Leave a comment below and I'll swing on by your blog!!

Thanks for reading!

~ Spinning Jenny

 *This TBR number has changed since the beginning of this list. I can't help it, and all of you book bloggers are just enablers with your exciting reviews of amazing books.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment